Tuesday, November 21, 2006

NOLA!


I've just arrived from New Orleans, Louisiana, The #1 Sin City in the U.S.

If truth be told, I've arrived last night, but due to the fact of 3 consecutive days of no and/or little sleep, I had some catching up to do with my beloved sofa.

Our trip was a compensation for our long awaited "Eid" trip, which had to be postponed ascriped to my other "mandatory trip".


We stayed over at Hotel La Salle. I'm a frequent guest at La Salle; unfortunately, its like an old horror movie where everyone would die before dawn. We booked using Travelocity.



I think their Ad campaign is tremendously wonderful. The cute and funny Gnome helping his customers dearly and all.

WRONG!

The Gnome did nothing to us. As a matter of fact, we had to wait in the lobby for his highness the gnome to find us a room. After 6 hrs of waiting, calling the 1800 24/7 number and not asking for much (only a fax to be sent to the Hotel), there were no results. Travelocity, in fact, did let us roam alone. The Gnome never fulfilled his gaurantee, nor did he save the day!

Sean, La Salle's General Manager, sympathized with our ordeal and decided to give us our rooms for free. (Kesarna Kha6ra).

There were no major highlights in our trip. All I can say is that I was power napping (somehow people do not relate to me when I do that and end up calling me Bangali for doing so). My friends decided on it and I ended up riding with them.

The Group:

RED (A big dude with a lot of heart, never imagined him being over protective).

Moe (Another big dude with a big heart). He was kidnapped. He went to grab food at 6 A.M. & two black dudes jumped him and thew him in a car. They took him to the ghetto & at gunpoint they threatened to kill him or get his money. His response? FUCK YOU, KILL ME. They were surprised so they started explaining that it is not in his best interest to die. His rebuttal: If I gave you all my money, I won't be able to grab my breakfast. So you guys better take me to "Krystal", there I'd order my food and you guys steal whatever is left. When asked why? He simply stated: If they were to kill me they would've at that place and time since there were no one around.

(Had I been one of them assholes I would have shot Moe with no remorse, but they did take him to krystal! Later on they ended up taking his money and leaving).
&
(Had it been me, the victim, I would've took no chances. Matter of fact, I would have peed my self and cried my eyes red.

The "shell shock": Moe enjoyed his time to the max. Yet, there remained a part of him that is still stunned within.

NAB (Our very own hustler, He is the only person I've seen who can actually get his money back from anyone - This includes, but not limited to: Other hustlers, Street Musicians, Restaurants (after finishing up his meal), Street bums & Beggers and The people who kidnapped Moe & stole his money).

Frank (Strangely he can manage getting away with paying less than the retail cost in franchises!)
Franks actually went to a franchise and checked the tag of something he actually liked. He then decided to give the clerk half of what it costs. She looked at him and said but sir its $30.00. With a smile he goes no, I'll take it for 15. Then he slipped a dollar in her front pocket as a tip & walked away!



Last but not least: ME! I've harrassed every Cincinnati Bengals Fan in the French Quarter on Sunday. Right after the game, which we (The New Orleans Saints) lost, I started seeing loads upon loads of happy Bengals fans on Bourban Street. So I started being the sour loser who shouts: YOU JUST GOT LUCKY!

The Place:

* French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
* Mainly Bourbon Street.
Bourbon

Things We Saw:

* A couple of black cops beating up a skinny white dude infront of his GF/Spouse with a baton.

* 60, if not 80, year old Prostitute. After asking me if I was interested in having a good time I started to advise her to do something for her after life. I explained how she is still "young & beautiful" (7adi ga3 achathib) and how she (urgently) needed to give God ATLEAST what's little left of her life. I wasn't pointing at any particular religion, I just think its time for her to retire o0 etoob or something!


* People getting naked on the streets. Some are drunk others are simply exibisionists.

* A syrian shawarma place in Bourban Street. When I went in and emphasized how much I liked his joint when I visited 3 years back.
Note: The people with me are first time visitors to that place.
The syrian false witness was like: EH 3ALA RASI. DAKIRKOM ANA. Wa hal yakhfa elqamar?

I looked back at my friends with a smile, They were hand signaling me to "amasheeha" or "shut up about it". Unfortunately, me being me, I started: Int laish na9ab? Shako tchatheb? gool ma tathkir or ma t3arefna a7salik ya3ni etc..

He started stuttering o0 beda esaweeli feha ina kan ga3ed ejamil. (after a brief arguement, I managed to get a free falafil sandwich out of it).

This may not seem much, but falafil costs around $10.00. (FREE STUFF = GOOD SHIT).

On Monday night we went to Emeril Lagasse's Restaurant, NOLA, where we had crepes and BAM! We started our "Homecoming" trip.

P.S. The following commercial, very much, relates to New Orleans:

No comments:

Powered By Blogger